In searching for the best wine of Argentina, one must, unfortunately, taste lots and lots of Argentine wine. It’s a super tough gig but somebody has to do it! (In all reality when you have to focus on finding the best wine from a particular region whether it be Mendoza Malbec, French Burgundy or Australian Shiraz, frequently you have to taste 40 or 50 wines at a time and take copious notes while maintaining a semblance of sobriety. Then you have to compare your notes to your team’s notes, find out the price of the wines, evaluate the label quality, then decide whether you are going to commit to promoting a particular wine… so there is a lot of work!).
So in the interest of sharing our thoughts on Argentine wine with you, we would like to let you know about a boutique Argentine wine called Catalpa from a winery called Atamisque.
Atamisque, like so many other Argentine wineries is situated in Mendoza… specifically a region called Valle de Uco (in English the Uco Valley) and a sub-region called La Consulta. Their Malbec vineyards lie 3600 feet above sea level which means, at this high altitude vineyard, there is a very high degree of thermal amplitude to create stress on the little Malbec grapes.
30% of This Malbec was treated for 12 months in new French oak barrels and the other 70% aged in stainless steel tanks. It has a deep violet color, as Malbec tends to have (you see this reaction on the part of American wine drinkers a lot… “It looks like ink!” we hear this all the time at our Buenos Aires Wine Tastings). On the nose we get mostly dark berries with hints of coffee and a touch of flower. This is a nicely concentrated 100% Malbec wine with a bit of a tannic structure, excellent fruit and a medium finish. For about 15 us dollars per bottle this is certainly a decent wine and a classic example of Malbec from Mendoza.
Incoming search terms:
- catalpa malbec
- catalpa malbec 2010
- catalpa wine
- catalpa malbec 2009
- catalpa 2010 malbec
- catalpa malbec 2010 rating
- catalpa malbec de atamisque
- catalpa malbec where to buy
- catalpa wine prices
- catalpa wines
- Argentine Wine Review – Mayacaba 2008 Malbec by Bodega Mi Terruno
- Argentine Wine Review: Laborum Malbec 2007 by Bodega El Porvenir de los Andes
- Argentine Wine Review – Amauta IV Syrah, Bodega El Porvenir de los Andes
- Argentine Wine Review – Carinae Malbec Gran Reserva 2008, Carinae Vinos
- Argentine Wine Review: Clos de Andes by Bodega Poesia